Mozilla Thunderbird is one of the popular desktop email client application that is used worldwide. Technical as well as non-technical users are accessing this email client for communication purposes. The Thunderbird supports MBOX format to store the data. Anyhow, Thunderbird is not the only email client that uses .mbox format. The problem is, most of the people do not know how to read MBOX files Thunderbird. Because the Thunderbird does not give any inbuilt feature to import MBOX file to Thunderbird that are present in the system or hard drives, etc. So most of the users are searching for the solution to know how to open MBOX file on Mozilla Thunderbird or add MBOX to Thunderbird. Here in this article, we are going to discuss the effective solution for how to view MBOX files in Thunderbird.
User Query 1: “I have some MBOX files in my system. These MBOX files are very important to me because it is related to my business. I have tried to access the files in my Thunderbird profile but I do not know is there any way to import MBOX mail to Thunderbird. Can anyone please suggest me the solution to add MBOX file to Thunderbird.”
User Query 2: “I have used Eudora email account for business matter. But now I want to switch to Thunderbird because of some advanced application in Thunderbird. So I want to transfer the Eudora MBOX files to Thunderbird. How to open MBOX file on Mozilla Thunderbird? Is there any way to convert MBOX to Thunderbird process? Please help.”
How to View MBOX Files in Thunderbird- Manual Method
To import MBOX file to Thunderbird manually there is no any in-built facility in Thunderbird. You can access an Addon called ImportExportTools that are provided by Mozilla. You just need to install it on the Mozilla Thunderbird application and you can import MBOX to Mozilla Thunderbird. But this method have some limitations to upload MBOX to Thunderbird.
Limitations of Manual Solution
The manual method to import MBOX mail to Thunderbird is easy to access. But there are some limitations for this way.
- It does not maintain the folder structure or hierarchy.
- The user cannot import MBOX files to multiple profiles of Thunderbird.
- There is a chance of data loss due to file corruption.
- It consumes more time.
Third Party Solution to Convert MBOX to Thunderbird
SysTools Thunderbird Import Wizard is a stand-alone application which can import MBOX file to Thunderbird account in batch using the File / Folder option in the tool. It is an effective software that will view MBOX files in Thunderbird in a hassle-free manner. The user can import MBOX to Mozilla Thunderbird or import multiple MBOX along with attachments. It offers Date Filter option to export selective mails to Thunderbird. You can view the exported emails without any changes in the folder structure.
Steps to Perform Import MBOX Mail to Thunderbird
Follow the given below steps to easily upload MBOX to Thunderbird without any issues.
- First of all, you want to download Thunderbird Import Wizard.
- After downloading run the tool.
- At the first interface, the software gives two option to add MBOX files. They are: Add File, Add Folder.
- From this select the particular option for doing add MBOX file to Thunderbird.
- Add File: This option can import individual .mbox file.
- Add Folder: This option can import multiple MBOX files in batch.
- After selecting the File or Folder click Open to convert MBOX to Thunderbird.
- Here, you can apply filter option to import the selective .mbox files. You can transfer specified type of MBOX file to Thunderbird using Set option. Also, a Date filter option is there. It allows selecting the .mbox file in a particular date range. It also maintains the folder hierarchy while upload MBOX to Thunderbird. After all click Import.
The above article discussed how to view MBOX files in Thunderbird. Here it mentioned two types of methods Manual and third party to import MBOX to Thunderbird. The manual method is good for opening MBOX file to Thunderbird but due to some limitations as mentioned above you can choose automated solution and it will do the process of uploading MBOX to Thunderbird in an easy way.